Say Hello To Pixel, Phone By Google
Pixel Phone By Google enters the premium smartphone market today with two sizes.
The pre-event leaks and revelations were bit of a major spoiler for Google’s new Pixel, coming in Pixel (5inch) and Pixel XL(5.5inch) smartphones that are now official available. Pre-booking opens in India on 13 October 2016
- 5-inch 1080p display on the Pixel and
- 5.5-inch Quad HD display on Pixel XL
Pixel is built by HTC, but Google has overseen the design and is the first “phone by Google”and both Pixel models are powered by the latest Snapdragon 821 processor and run a specialized version of Google’s Android software – Android 7.0 Nougat
Five key features
1. Google Assistant. Pixel is the first phone with the new Google Assistant built in.
2. Camera It has a 12.3-megapixel resolution with large 1.55-micron pixels and an f/2.0 aperture.
3. Unlimited cloud storage. Google will allow free unlimited storage for full-resolution images and videos shot with the Pixel.
4, Updates As expected, Pixel users will be getting the latest Android updates directly from Google as soon as they become available.
5. Virtual Reality. The Pixel is the first Daydream-compatible phone and Google today also announced the Daydream View headset to accommodate the Pixel for VR use.
- Made out of aluminum with usual features including camera, flash, and the fingerprint sensor.
- Both devices have 4GB of RAM, USB-C
- Storage of 32GB or 128GB
- Bluetooth 4.2,
- 3.5mm headphone jack. Yes, Google felt the need to advertise that last one
- 2770 mAh for Pixel and 3450 mAh for Pixel XL
$649 5-inch Pixel. 32GB
$749 with 128GB o
$769 Pixel XL with 32GB
$869 Pixel XL with 128GB.
Colour Options – Black or Silver and Blue
Google perhaps could have waited a bit longer before going into the premium sector with the steep pricing for a first phone branded as Made by Google.
The reason I am saying it is because the price doesn’t justify few features that one would expect in any android phone costing over $600 in 2016.
- Is the phone water resistant ?
- Does the phone have expandable memory?
- Why isn’t there Image Stabilization for still photos?
As a first smartphone, there will always be a a lot of room for improvement so Google may add those features eventually.
From a pricing perspective, I think Google should have priced the 32GB Pixel under $500 for the 32GB Pixel while the 32GB Pixel XL could have been priced under $600.